Analysis of factors influencing participation of farm households in watermelon production in some selected local government areas of Sokoto State, Nigeria
Salihu Abdullahi Abubakar*, Binta Muhammed Manga, Maryam Bello Ali, Abdullahi Muazu and Dalha Magaji
Published: 28 February, 2020 | Volume 4 - Issue 1 | Pages: 016-023
The study analyzed the factors influencing participation of farm households’ in watermelon production in the study areas. Three local government areas out of Sokoto state were purposively selected. Questionnaire was used to collect data. Multistage of sampling techniques were used to arrive at the sample size of 181 farm households’ for the study. Likert scale is used to analyze the level of participation of farm households’, frequency and inferential statistics were used to analyze the data. The findings revealed that (55.8%) of the farm households are within the ages of 25-30 years, majority (96.7%) are male It shows that majority (64.0%) of the farm households participated in watermelon production as a result of higher income generated. Multiple regression analysis result revealed significant relationships between farm household’s participation in watermelon production and their socio-economic characteristics at p < 0.05. The constraints faced by the farm households are storage technology and improved agricultural inputs. Most (63.5%) of the farm households believed that provision of subsidized agricultural inputs and market accessibility are forms of assistance that will encourages farm households to partake in watermelon production. It is recommended that government and donor agencies should encourage farm households’ by providing them with the modern agricultural inputs so as to influence them to participate fully into watermelon production irrespective of their Socio-economic differences.
Read Full Article HTML
Cite this Article
Read Full Article PDF
Analysis; Watermelon; Production; Farm households
- Huh YCI, Solmaz I, Sari N. Morphological characterization of Korean and Turkish watermelon germplsm 1 Cucurbitaceae 2008, 2008.
- Report of the FAO Expert Consultation on Agricultural Innovation systems and family farming. 2012.
- Kim, B. Watermelon Nutrition: How to get the most Nutritional Value out of Watermelon. Health and Beyond. 2008.
- Nasarawa State Agricultural Development Programme, Annual Crop Area and Yield Survey (CAYS), 2006.
- Medicine Net. Definition of Watermelon. 2004.
- Daily Trust Newspaper. 2016.
- De Lannoy. Crop Production in Tropical Africa. Romain, 2001.
- Kelly D. Community participation in rangeland management: A report for the Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation. 2001.
- Agarwal A, Gibson CC. Enchantment and Disenchantment: The Role of Community in Natural Resource Conservation. World Development. 1999; 27: 629-649.
- Mathbor G. Effective Community Participation in Costal development. Lyceum book Mexico’s 1999 flood. Journal of Traumatic Stress. 2008; 2: 77-122.
- Aref F. Farmers’ participation in agricultural development: The case of Fars province, Iran. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011; 4: 155- 158.
- Agricultural statistics for 2011. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2011.
- United Nation Food and Agricultural Organization FAOSTAT (2/2011). FAO. Rome. 2011.
- Adeyemi A. Growing Watermelon Commercially in Nigeria: An illustration guide. IITA/FAO. 2003.
- Raily K. Whole Grains: millet (Gramineae/Proaceae). 2006.
- Ugwoke FO, Adesope OM, Ibe FC. Youth Participation in Farming Activities in Rural Areas of Imo State. Journal of Agricultural Extension 2003; 8: 2005.
- Sokoto State Government Dairy. Its peoples, climate and vegetation. A publication of Sokoto State Government. 2014; 1-3.
- Iliya MA, Baba TAM. The impact of climate change on Sokoto state: Evidence and challenges. 2013.
- Gwadabawa MA. The Role Sokoto Agricultural Development in Disseminating Agricultural Extension Services to Farmers in Gwadabawa Local Government Area, Sokoto State, Nigeria. Project submitted for the award of Post Graduate Diploma in Agricultural Economics and Extension, Usmanu Danfodiyo University. Sokoto. 2007; 43.
- Yabo MA, Recent expansion of SabonGari area iqwai residential area in northwest Part of Sokoto metropolis. Unpublished BSc. Project submitted to the department of Geography, Faculty of Social science, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto. 2005; 41.
- Yamane T, Garfinke S, Nelson AJ. Fast disk analysis with random sampling. 2010.
- Akpan A. Challenges of Nigeria Enterpreneur in the Maiden Annual College of Management Sciences University of Mkar. 2007; 10.
- Muhammad LA0, Omotesho A, Falola A. Technical efficiency of youth participation in Agriculture(j; A case study of the youth-in-agriculture programme in Ondo State, south western Nigeria National Commission on Resources for Youth. United States. 2009.
- United Nations Youth Empowerment Strategy, UNYES. 2004.
- Amaza PS, Tashikalma AK. Technical Efficiency in Groundnut Production in Adamawa State, Nigeria. Journal of Arid Agriculture. 2003; 13, 67-90.
- Olaniyi OA. Adewale JG. Information on Maize Production among Rural Youth: A solution for sustainable food Security in Nigeria. 2012.
- Bayacag PG. Farm Environment, Farm Knowledge and Technical Efficiency: An Investigation among Upland Corn Farmers in Bukidnon, Philippines. An Unpublished PhD; dissertation submitted to the University of the Philippines - Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines. 2001.
- Oladele OI. Contribution of indigenous vegetables and fruits to poverty alleviation in Oyo State, Nigeria. Journal of Human Ecology. 2011; 34: 1-6.
- Adeoti AI, Olayemi JK. Measuring the technical efficiencies of fadama farmers in the derived savanna zone of Nigeria. The Nigerian journal of economics and social research. 2003; 45: 1-15.
- Nor LM, Maduekwe MC. Strengthening Co-ordination of Agricultural Programmes between Local Government Areas and the Agricultural participation for Strengthening Agricultural Extension. Proceedings of AESON. 2000; 106-144.